Global Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Gaming site for all Gamers- Classically Trained & Newly Trained

HomeRegisterLog in
* PSP 4ms will be starting the points system back up soon. Come on in and participate in forum discussions to earn points!

Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??

Go down 
3 posters

Sony succeed at stopping homebrew?
yes
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Vote_lcap10%Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
no
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Vote_lcap120%Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
only for awhile
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Vote_lcap180%Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Vote_rcap
 80% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
YodaTheWise
Quickdraw
Quickdraw

Number of posts : 175
My Mood today is: : Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? 401436
Registration date : 2008-07-24
Activity/Vote Points : 77
Awarded Points :
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Right_bar_bleue

# Of Contests Won :
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Right_bar_bleue

Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Empty
PostSubject: Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??   Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? EmptySeptember 9th 2008, 9:45 am

i found this on a site:

Will The PSP-3000 Defeat Homebrew?

Written by karothacker
Monday, 01 September 2008 22:12

Unauthorized hacking of the PSP has been a serious problem for Sony ever since enterprising hackers managed to run unsigned code on the PSP-1000 back in 2005. The ability to revert to an unprotected version of the firmware, and later the ability to install completely custom pirate firmware has enabled some owners to play pirated PSP games downloaded from the internet.

By some accounts, developers like Ready at Dawn and Capcom have lost more than 50% of their prospective revenues to software piracy. One estimate has software producers losing more than $4 million per week to piracy. In June, SCEE President David Reeves stated that “There is a piracy problem on the PSP. We know about it, we know how it’s done. It sometimes fuels the growth of hardware sales, but on balance we are not happy about it.”

Clearly, defeating piracy is one of the biggest concerns facing designers at Sony. It appears that the company may be planning to take some drastic steps to deter homebrew on the device with the release of the new PSP-3000 model, but like always, the company remains very secretive about its plans.

The first clue that they have something up their sleeve is the fact that the company recently recalled the extended-life battery peripheral from stores, even though there were no signs that it was selling poorly. The reason for the cancellation is likely the fact that hackers had found a way to create a Pandora battery using an ordinary Sony battery like the one sold as an accessory. Pandora batteries allow hackers and pirates complete access to the PSP firmware, allowing them to override official protections against piracy.

While the PSP-3000 is confirmed to make a small number of great changes to the overall design of the handheld, we suspect that some of the biggest changes will be taking place under the hood, to fight homebrew hackers. The device will probably come equipped with a new battery pack and reboot system that renders the previous “Pandora” attack obsolete. It will also likely contain hardware changes intended to further dissuade reverse-engineering of the console. We suspect that when the PSP-3000 rolls out in October, it will come equipped with a brand new firmware (version 5.0?) containing some aggressive anti-piracy measures.

Will these changes be enough to permanently put a stop to piracy? Unfortunately, this is doubtful. Hackers have shown a great deal of enthusiasm for the device, using it to run gray-area code like emulators and chat clients, but also to pirate software. There is a vibrant and extremely skilled community of hackers poised to tear apart whatever hardware protections Sony decides to implement with the new device. It is almost certainly a matter of time until a hacker like Dark Alex manages to penetrate the secrets of the new PSP-3000. Also, since any new firmware must be backwards-compatible with the PSP Slim and even the PSP-1000, Sony designers are limited in the kinds of protection that they can implement, at least on the software side.
Back to top Go down
Data2link
Admin
Admin
Data2link

Female
Number of posts : 4282
My Mood today is: : Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Icon_biggrin
Registration date : 2008-01-22
Activity/Vote Points : 1403
Awarded Points :
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Right_bar_bleue

# Of Contests Won :
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??   Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? EmptySeptember 9th 2008, 10:52 am

Very intersting. Thanks for that- but it will only last for a little while. Then they will once again be finding new and upgrading firmware. I blame Sony! They should give the US waht they give Japan when it comes to the PSP- If you can't get it from them- people will get it by other means- so Shame on Sony for not taking care of their customers!
Back to top Go down
https://psp4m.forumotion.com
YodaTheWise
Quickdraw
Quickdraw

Number of posts : 175
My Mood today is: : Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? 401436
Registration date : 2008-07-24
Activity/Vote Points : 77
Awarded Points :
Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Right_bar_bleue

# Of Contests Won :

PostSubject: Re: Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??   Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? EmptySeptember 9th 2008, 12:17 pm

Data2link wrote:
Very intersting. Thanks for that- but it will only last for a little while. Then they will once again be finding new and upgrading firmware. I blame Sony! They should give the US waht they give Japan when it comes to the PSP- If you can't get it from them- people will get it by other means- so Shame on Sony for not taking care of their customers!
ya i agree
Back to top Go down
sametime4me
sametime4me

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-02-03
Activity/Vote Points : 9
Awarded Points :

# Of Contests Won :

PostSubject: Re: Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??   Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 5:22 am

However, having read through the text above, I have come to understand the reason why the new slim PSP - 3001 and the others have come to stay. One thing still remains that hackers wont stop at nothing to have their way into them. Also, I think SONY should be on the flexible side. A hardware like the PSP should not be limited to certain software. It should be whatever I want on it to be on it. Although, you cited that some game producers loose money each day and months. I think they should wake up to the fact that the world of computers and softwares is fast growing and that they needed to be liberated.
Thanks for the info and I bet that it will soon be over. I am really really affected cos I fell in love with this device for the fact that I saw a friend who has a hacked one and he enjoys almost everything he wanted on it and unfortunately for me, I got the ones that are not hackable. My friend can read Bible, play any type of game on it and customise the display with anything he likes and I think that, that is how it should be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??   Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sony trying to stop homebrew with psp-3000??
Page 1 of 1